You have created a blog or website of your own and now have many visitors coming to your website. The best way to monetize this website traffic is through Google AdSense which provides an opportunity to webmasters and bloggers a free and simple way to earn money. Let us see the criteria for participation in this program, how to set up the Adsense to your website, how does it work and much more.
What is Google AdSense Program?
Google AdSense is a free and simple program run by Google for bloggers and advertisers to earn money online by running targeted advertisements along with their online content. This system works on the basis of media buying and selling, where advertisers pay for promoting their products and website publishers serve texts, images, videos, banners and other interactive media advertisements to reach the target audience. The way how it works is that Google matches the text and display ad contextually to your site based on your content and visitors. These advertisements generate revenue on a per-click or per-impression basis. We shall understand the revenue generation process of AdSense later on in this article.
The AdSense differs from other advertising networks since it displays the contextually targeted advertisements by Google. So Google uses its algorithms to determine the highest revenue-paying ad which is targeted to your content or audience. So you do not have to choose which ads to be displayed to your website and it automatically selects the contextually relevant ad based on an auction system. We will learn more about it later on.
AdSense has become a popular advertisement publishing programs for banner advertisements on websites and blogs since it is less intrusive and visitors are more likely to be interested in content-related advertisements. Imagine yourself reading an interesting blog related to “simple steps to gardening” and an ad banner related to a gardening tool is displayed on the blog. You would be more interested in knowing more about the tool and purchasing it rather than when you see the ad on the search results on Google. Hence, AdSense opens a lot of opportunities for website owners to monetize their content (website, videos, audio, etc.) to earn revenue from it. It is especially beneficial for niche websites and content-rich websites to earn revenue which would otherwise have required lots of resources and sales team to develop an advertising program. Yes, AdSense is absolutely free!
How Google AdSense Works?
Google AdSense works on a real-time auction system. The first thing you need to do is to create your AdSense account. The process of applying for the Adsense program is free and simple, all you need to do is to fill an application and submit it to Google. Google will then review your application and get back to you through email within about a week.
What You Need To Sign Up For AdSense?
- Your online content (website, blog, video, etc.) should be original and have something unique to offer to your audience. The more you are able to keep your audience delighted and hooked to your content, the more are your chances of becoming eligible for AdSense campaign.
- The pages of your website should be easily navigable by the users. It should have a navigation bar which is clearly visible and at the top of the page. Its purpose should be to make it easier for the users to find what they want on your website and provide a good user experience to them. This will optimize your site for user experience and provide a platform of interaction with them.
Have these three things in mind while building your navigation menu:
- Alignment: all the elements in your navigation menu should be aligned correctly.
- Readability: the text should be easy to read.
- Functionality: the drop-down list should work correctly.
Your content should comply with the AdSense Program Policies. This is an important criterion which every publisher should meet before applying for the AdSense program. Failing to comply with the policies will enable Google to disable your AdSense account any time. Remember that Google keeps on updating its program policies from time-to-time, and it is up to you to keep yourself updated with it.
- You must be an adult, or above 18 years of age, to apply for the program. Google accepts the application only when the applicant is 18 years or above.
Note: If your website is hosted by the free WordPress site, then it will not be eligible for participation in the AdSense program.
If you are using Blogger, Youtube, or another hosting partner, you can sign up for a hosted AdSense account. But in order to be eligible for a hosted AdSense account, your blog or channel must become eligible for an AdSense account.
Now, let us get straight to understanding how AdSense works.
Step 1: Once your website becomes eligible for AdSense, you will be given a small code by Google. You need to paste this code on your site in order to enable AdSense to your website. This way, ad space is created in your website for relevant ads to be displayed by Google.
Step 2: Now that you have become eligible for AdSense, select the ad which you want to display on your website. Google provides a wide variety of ad formats to choose from, such as text, display, or both.
Step 3: Choose where you want your ad to appear. You can copy and paste the ad code where you want the ads to be shown.
Step 4: The advertisers would bid for your ad spaces and a real-time auction would take place. The highest paying bid would win to appear in your website.
Step 5: Generate revenue through the ads by getting paid by Google. Google handles the billing the advertisers. The revenue model can be decided on a per-click or per-view basis.
What If I Want To Block Ads in AdSense?
Google gives you the freedom to choose the ads which you want to show on your website. If you don’t like any ad, there are several options for blocking and reviewing the ads which appear on your website. Remember that ads certified by Google Networks are eligible to appear on your website by default.
Before getting to the procedure for setting preference for blocking ads from your sites, it would be good to know about the various blocking options made available to publishers:
- You can block a certain URL. The best situation where you can use it is to block your competitor’s URL’s.
- You can block specific ad networks.
- You can choose to block by category.
This video shall explain you in-depth about the blocking options available in AdSense.
You can control which ads would show on your site by setting your preferences for blocking ads from the existing ad networks through the following procedure. Here we are providing you with the procedure to block certain URL’s:
Step 1: Sign in to your AdSense account.
Step 2: Click on Blocking Controls.
Step 3: Choose the product which you want to block. Click on Content to choose the product from where you want to block the ad.
Step 4: From the top of your page, click on Advertiser’s URL.
Step 5: Paste the URL in the space which is provided.
Note: You can block up to 500 URL’s at a time.
How To Make Money Using Google AdSense?
The Google AdSense is absolutely free to use, that’s why anybody who adheres to the Google policies and other eligibility criteria can participate in the program and earn good revenue. While you accrue a minimum amount, you shall get paid by Google. The best part is that the eligibility criteria are easy to meet, so you can start earning bucks even when your blog or website is new. There is a minimum amount of payment which you must accrue after which Google will start paying you.
The AdSense payment cycle is monthly, i.e., you shall receive your payment between the 21st and 26th of every month. In case of EFT, it might take 4-10 days to transfer the funds directly to your bank account.
If you have set up your AdSense account for the first time and wondering whether you shall receive your payment this month or next month, you must ensure you have completed the following steps as per Google to receive your payment:
- Make sure to provide your tax details. This depends upon the location and you can check the following guide here to know more.
- Provide the correct Payee name and address. It is because Personal Identification Numbers (or PIN’s) are sent to your mailing address, so it is important for you to confirm your payment address and payee name.
- Choose a preferred form of payment. Once your account reaches the payment method threshold, you can select the form of payment. Depending upon your location, there may be several forms of payment methods, such as Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT’s), EFT via Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), wire transfers, cheques, and Western Union Quick Cash.
Here are some tips to optimize the revenue generation process using AdSense:
- The first and the most important tip is to read and adhere to the Google Policies related to AdSense.
- Never click on your own ads or ask others to click on them. Incentivising the clicks or driving traffic to your website artificially or manually is against the AdSense policies.
- Have a unique and fresh content which your target audience would find useful and keep them engaged. Avoid publishing sensitive or prohibited content and make sure to provide valuable content to your visitors.
- Use only genuine SEO techniques and avoid using black-hat SEO.
- Since most of your audience would be on mobile, your website must be optimized for mobile too. Make sure that your ads are responsive so that Google can optimize it for mobile viewers.
- Some ad types are known to provide better clicks and hence leads to more revenue. If you are new to AdSense, start by testing the standard ad sizes, such as 300 x 250, 728 x 90, 160 x 600. The reason is that Google will have more ad options to run and hence more opportunity to generate revenue.
We hope you found our article on AdSense useful. Whether you are new to AdSense or have used it for some time, there are always some queries which might come to your mind as Google keeps updating its policies. How was your experience in creating an Adsense account or generate revenue using it? Let us know in the comments section below!