Mascara is one such product which every girl must own in her makeup kit. So if you always find it difficult to apply your mascara without it being messy, here we have provided you with a guide on how to apply mascara in simple DIY steps.
With our busy lifestyles, we hardly get any time for a makeup routine. Hence most of us miss out on applying mascara or apply it such that it smudges or clumps. But if you want to look like a million bucks and effortlessly beautiful, them applying a generous sweep of mascara is necessary. So whether you are going to your office or to a party, applying mascara will add volume to your lashes in no time and enhance your eyes even more.
So whether you have included mascara in your beauty regime or want to begin using it, this DIY tutorial will help you in both the cases. Here we are presenting you with some easy steps to apply mascara in different ways.
Different Types of Mascara Available
Before we dive into this tutorial, we shall discuss in brief about the different types of mascaras available for different lash types. Here are the different types of mascaras:
Lengthening Mascara: For short lashes
Thin Lashes: Thickening or Voluminizing Mascara
How To Apply Mascara With Eyeliner
Pro Tip: For best results, it is recommended that you use an eyelash curler.
The basic makeup routine includes applying eyeliner along with mascara. It is necessary to finish off your eye make-up and make your eyes look fuller. But if you are not a pro at applying mascara or are afraid of smudging it every time, you would rather give up on this beauty hack rather than wasting time on it. But the truth is that if applied the right way, it will only take you half a minute. And the results would truly be worth your efforts.
So here we have provided you with a complete guide on how to apply mascara along with eyeliner along in easy steps:
What you need:
- An eyeliner
- An eyeshadow of your choice
- A primer for the eyes
- An eyelash curler
- A volumizing mascara
Step 1: Before you start your make-up routine, wash your face with a face wash or use a make-up remover to remove all the traces of the previous makeup.
Step 2: Now begin your eye make up by applying primer to your eyelids and around the eyes.
Step 3: Next, apply an eyeshadow of your choice. It is recommended that you use a natural eyeshadow so that your lashes can stay at the focus.
Step 4: Using a liquid eyeliner, apply your eyeliner. Start by applying from the centre and go to the corners as you proceed. You may draw a thick or thin line depending upon your choice.
Applying the Mascara
Now we will get to applying the mascara. Here are the steps:
Step 5: Using an eyelash curler, curl your eyelashes. Place the curler at the base of your upper lashes and hold it in place for a few seconds.
Step 6: Now taking a tube of mascara, swirl the wand in the bottle and ensure that the bristles are coated with mascara generously.
Step 7: Now, beginning from the roots, start applying your mascara in wriggling motion. This will ensure that the mascara does not botch up at the base and is evenly applied.
Step 8: For the lower lashes, repeat the same procedure. Although since the lower lashes are thinner, you can use a different mascara or a wand with smaller bristles.
Step 8: For giving the finishing touches, brush out any clumps that might have formed or lashes that are sticking together. Use a clean wand to comb them.
Step 9: Now apply a second coat of mascara with as much consistency as you wish.
Step 10: If you are not satisfied with the results and want more volume to your lashes, then you can use an eyelash curler again. But first, let the mascara dry first for a few minutes.
Apply Mascara in Lower Lashes By Yourself
Like the upper lashes, it is equally important to apply mascara to your lower lashes as well. You can use a different wand and mascara for them since these are thinner. Here are some tips which you can use to apply mascara to your lower lashes by yourself:
- Begin by applying mascara to your lower lashes first. Doing this will save you from ruining your smokey eye effect and creating a mess.
- Use a primer for your lashes. Yes, you heard it right! Invest in a good quality eyelash primer and swipe it generously with a wand in your lashes. It will allow your mascara to stay for longer and increase the volume of your lower lashes.
- Always use waterproof mascara. When coating your lower lashes with mascara, make sure you use waterproof mascara. It will save you from looking like a racoon by the end of the day!
- Apply side-to-side strokes, not just left-right. If you look at the videos of professional make-up artists, you will notice that they also use the side-sweep stroke to apply mascara. This will enable you to get a bolder effect at the bottom lash and give you the perfect retro look!
- Use a smaller mascara wand. We have already discussed this before. This is required since your lower lashes are thinner than the upper lashes.
- Try Experimenting. We know black is a classic colour. But a little experimenting won’t hurt, right? Try applying a coloured mascara of your choice to add freshness in your look.
- Double up your mascara as eyeliner. This is a smart trick. Applying mascara to your lower lashes can be irksome since the mascara can actually clump between your lower lashes and lashline. You just need to fetch out your angled make-up brush and apply the mascara along your entire lash line. This will provide you the dual benefit of thicker lashes and eyeliner.
- Brush your lashes before and after applying the mascara. This will ensure a smooth application without any clumps.
Here we have provided you with a video to show you how you can apply your mascara correctly every time.
Steps To Apply Mascara Without Clumping
The most dreaded part of applying mascara is the many lumps and bumps that form while the application. So here we are going to provide you with some hacks on how you can avoid your mascara clumping while its application:
- Coat your lashes with liquid concealer before applying the mascara.
- Bend the wand of your mascara in a perpendicular manner so it is easy to apply.
- Use tissues to wipe the excess mascara to prevent clumps.
- A good tip to apply mascara is to wriggle the brush way up as you apply it at the base of your lashes.
- If you are using a regular mascara as the base, add a finishing touch by applying a coat of waterproof mascara.
- This is for those who have thin lashes. You can apply mascara to both the sides of your lashes by looking up and down alternatively.
- Hold the wand at a horizontal angle and apply the mascara for more thicker lashes. For a more natural finish, hold it vertically.
- Before application, soak the tube of your mascara in a glass of warm water to enable the formula to turn liquidy instead of clumpy.
Here we have provided you with a video which will teach you how to apply mascara in a professional way without clumping:
We have provided you here with a how-to guide on how you can apply mascara in a professional and hassle-free manner. So if you found this guide useful or did not like it, please let us know in the comment section below.