Windows has an in-built feature for screen rotation. So to answer your question regarding how to rotate screen Windows, we have written this guide here. There are many options available in Windows for screen rotation and we shall be discussing all of them here. Since Windows run on many devices which have different features, it is equipped with screen rotation feature to provide a user-friendly experience. The most commonly used method for screen rotation is by enabling the feature in the device itself, which is present in most of the devices. We shall discuss it here. Also, we shall discuss some other interesting methods which you can use for screen rotation.
You might have your PC or laptop connected to an external monitor, and want your screen to be tilted, or you accidentally pressed some keys and your screen went into landscape mode. So read on this guide here to know more.
Here you can find all kinds of tech guides related to your laptop or PC. You might also find these topics helpful:
- How To Take Screenshot on Windows PC
- 4+ Ways To Take a Screenshot on Mac
- How To Setup & Install Kinemaster For PC [Windows]
How To Rotate Screen on Laptop
There are many options available for screen rotation in Windows laptop. So here we are going to explain three methods which are really simple to apply and are applicable for Windows 7,8 and 10 versions.
Method 1: Keyboard Shortcut
You can try the keyboard shortcut which is the quickest method for screen rotation. But whether or not this will be applicable on your device will depend on the software like Nvidia and AMD provide the feature of creating “hotkeys” by pressing the “Shift+Alt+Arrow” keys.
You can rotate your screen 90°, 180° or 270° by pressing the Ctrl and Alt keys and selecting the arrow key on which side you want the laptop screen to face.
After selecting an option, your monitor will turn to the orientation which you selected. To restore your screen to the original landscape mode, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow.
Method 2: Using Windows Display Settings
- Right-click on your desktop and select Display Settings.
- From the menu, go to Orientation and from the drop-down menu, you can select the Portrait or Landscape mode.
- You will see a sample screen showing the orientation of your screen. If you have a screen attached to your laptop, you can click on a display to select it and drag it to an appropriate position. If you cannot identify the displays from the graphics, then click on the Identify button and your displays will be number the screens.
How To Rotate Screen Windows 10
Windows 10 provides many new features which have made it easier for the users to rotate their screens. Many PC’s with Windows 10 version have Hotkeys in them which can enable screen rotation.
Method 1: Using Keyboard
- From the desktop, right-click and from the drop-down menu, click on system>Display settings.
- You will be taken to the Display Settings screen. From there, click on Orientation and a drop-down menu will appear. Select the appropriate screen orientation option.
Method 2: Using Hotkeys
The hotkeys are present in some of the laptops or PC’s using Intel graphic drivers. These enable quick screen rotation when pressed. If pressed accidentally, your PC or laptop screen can rotate suddenly.
Here is the procedure to activate the hotkeys instantly and enable screen rotation:
- To rotate your screen upside-down, click on Ctrl+Alt+Arrow key.
- To bring back your screen at the normal position, i.e., Landscape mode, click on Ctrl+Alt+Up keys.
- To rotate your screen at 90°, click on Ctrl+Alt+Right key.
- To rotate your screen at 180°, click on Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow. This will flip your screen upside-down.
- To rotate your screen at 270°, click on Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow key.
How To Disable or Change The Hotkeys Settings
If you want to change or disable the Hotkeys settings, you can do so by going to the Hot Keys manager tool in the Intel Graphics Control Panel on your PC.
- Right-click on the desktop and select “Intel Graphics Settings” or press “Ctrl+Alt+F12” and the Intel Control Panel shall open.
- Click on Options & Support>Hotkey Manager.
- You can then enable or disable the Hot Key settings from there.
Steps To Rotate Screen on Windows 7 & 8
Method 1: Changing Your Display Settings
- From your desktop, right-click and select Display Settings.
- From the display settings menu, click on Screen Resolution.
- Now the Screen Resolution window shall open.
- From here you can select from the various screen orientation options such as Portrait, Landscape, etc.
- You can view the sample of your screen orientation through the monitor with the screen number labelled. In case you have more than one minor attached, you can click on the monitor labelled as “1” or “2” to change the screen orientation.
Method 2: Through Keyboard Shortcuts
Probably the easiest method for screen rotation is by using keyboard shortcuts. Here we shall explain to you how to rotate screen on windows keyboard shortcut.
Note: This method does not work with all the drivers
1. Press the Ctrl and Alt keys on your keyboard simultaneously. Additionally, you need to press the Arrow keys to change the screen orientation accordingly.
2. For flipping the screen upside-down, press Ctrl+Alt+Down arrow key
3. For flipping screen towards the right, press Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow keys together.
4. For flipping the screen towards the left, press Ctrl+Alt+Left arrow keys together
5. For restoring the screen to its original orientation, i.e., landscape mode, press Ctrl+Alt+Up arrows together.
Method 3: Changing Screen Orientation Using Control Panel
1. Click on Start >Control Panel>Display>Screen Resolution
2. From the Screen Resolution window, you can change the orientation of your screen as desired. The method has been explained above.
There are many options for changing the screen orientation or rotating the screen in Windows. Which method did you find most convenient? Please let us know through the comments section below.