Have you purchased the latest Mac, but confused how to take a screenshot on Mac? If you require to take screenshots on your Mac on a daily basis, or just want to have knowledge about the keyboard shortcuts, then knowing how to take a screenshot on your Mac is very important. Here through this article, we shall be explaining you the keyboard shortcuts to take a screenshot on your device.
How To Take Screenshot on MacBook Pro
Tip: Before knowing how to take a screenshot on your Mac or MacBook, you must know what is the version of Mac OS your device is running on. Here is a quick tip on how to check what version your Mac is running on and whether it needs to be updated to the latest version.
- First, go to the Apple menu at the corner of your screen.
- Choose About this Mac.
- Then you will see the Mac version’s name, such as Mac OS Mojave followed by the version number.
- If some product or feature requires you to see the build number as well, you can check it by clicking on the version number.
Here, we shall explain to you the various procedures to take a screenshot in Mac OS Mojave and the other versions.
How To Take a Screenshot If Using Mac Mojave
In Mac Mojave version, you have the option of capturing the entire screen, a window, or a selected portion of the screen.
You can use the Shift+Command+5 keys to take all kinds of screenshots or capture video recordings of your screen.
Here are various ways to take screenshots using the various versions of Mac
Capturing The Whole Screen
Using Mac Mojave:
- Click on Shift+Command+5 on your keyboard to see the controls.
- From the options available in the menu, click on Capture Entire Screen in the onscreen controls. Your pointer will change to the camera icon.
- Click anywhere on the screen to capture the screen of that display, or click Capture on onscreen controls to capture the screen of every display.
- A thumbnail of the screenshot will briefly appear at the corner of the screen. You can access the screenshot later on from the desktop.
- The file shall be named something like “Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 2.55.39 PM.”
- If you want to upload the screenshot from the desktop to any other folder, follow the same procedure you would do for any image file.
Using other versions:
- Press Shift+Command+3 to capture the display of every screen.
- You can access the image anytime from your desktop.
Capture a Window
Using Mac OS Mojave
- Click on Shift+Command+5 to see the screen control options.
- From the options, click on Capture Selected Window from the controls. Your pointer will change to a camera.
- Select a window which you want to capture.
- You will notice that any window you hover over will turn blue. This indicates that only that particular window shall be captured in the screenshot.
- Now click on the window that you would like to capture.
- The selected window shall now be saved as a screenshot in your desktop.
Using Other Versions of Mac
- Press Shift+Command>4
- Then press the Space bar. The pointer shall change to a camera.
- Select a Window to capture. To exclude a particular window from the screenshot, click and hold the Option button while you click.
- By default, the screenshot shall be saved in your desktop. You can access it from there anytime.
Capture a Selected Portion of the Screen
Using Mac OS Mojave
- Press Shift+Command+5 to see the on-screen controls.
- From the options, select Capture Select Portion. The pointer shall turn to a camera.
- Drag the pointer to select the desired portion of the screen. To move the selected area, drag from within the selection.
- Click Capture from the onscreen controls.
- A thumbnail of the screenshot shall appear at the corner of the screen. You can click on the thumbnail to edit, move or take any other actions directly. Or you can access it from desktop.
Using other Versions of Mac
- Simultaneously click on Shift+Command+5
- Drag the cursor to select the area you want to capture. To move an entire selection, press Spacebar while dragging.
- After selecting the desired portion, release the mouse to find the screenshot at your desktop.
Capture a Menu
Using Mac OS Mojave
- Click on the menu you want to capture to reveal its contents.
- You can capture the screenshot by following the procedure to take a screenshot of the entire screen or capture a window (the menu is treated like a window) or capture a portion of the screen that includes the menu.
- You can access the screenshot from the desktop.
Using Other Versions of Mac
- Click on the menu to reveal its contents.
- Press Shift+Command+4.
- Drag the cursor to select the area which you want to capture. Then release the trackpad of your mouse to take the screenshot.
- Alternatively, you can also press Space bar to change the pointer to the camera.
- Now click on the menu to capture it.
- After you have taken the screenshot, you can locate it in the desktop.
Capturing ScreenShot Using Mac’s Touch Pad
The higher versions of Mac such as MacBook Pro or Mac Sierra 10.12.2 or later use Touch Bar. It has screenshot options that allow you to take different kinds of screenshots. Here is the procedure:
- The screenshot options include Entire Screen, Selected Portions or even specific Window screenshot. This is just the same as the Grab application in the other Mac versions.
- Just tap on the Camera icon on the Touch Bar to select the type of screenshot which you want to take.
How To Take a Screenshot Using Grab
There is a little known application in Mac called Grab which you can use to take a screenshot. It is the alternate option to the keyboard shortcuts for taking a screenshot on Mac. Here’s how you can use the Grab feature in Mac:
- To open Grab, open the Finder folder on your Computer’s dock and enter “Grab” on the top-right search bar.
- Then select Applications on the left-hand side bar to narrow the results.
- Now click on the Grab icon to launch it.
- Once you launch it, its icon will appear on the Dock. You can pin it to use it for quick access later.
- Now click on Capture from the top navigation bar.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select which type of screenshot you want to take. There are three options, i.e., Selection, Window Screen and Timed Selection.
> Selection Screenshot allows you to take the screenshot of the part of the screen, just like in the earlier methods that we discussed above.
> Window Screenshot allows you to capture a specific Window which is open.
> Timed screenshot allows you to take a 10-seconds delay before capturing the screenshot.
How To Save Mac Screenshot To Clipboard
You can take the screenshot of the entire screen and save it to your clipboard. Here we shall discuss two types of screenshots which you can save to your clipboard.
Saving Entire Screen on Clipboard
- Press Command+Control+Shift+3 at the same time. You should hear a snap sound of the camera to indicate that the screenshot has been taken if the volume is turned up.
- Decide where you would like to place the screenshot. You might be required to paste it into a PowerPoint presentation, email or computer folder.
- Once you have decided the application where you would like to paste the screenshot, just press Command+V
- Now you can view the screenshot on the application where you pasted it.
Where Do The Screenshots Go On Mac?
Once you take a screenshot, you can save it and edit it as you like. But first, we must make sure what happens to the screenshots once it is taken. Here we shall discuss three possibilities which can happen once a screenshot is taken:
If You Didn’t Save It In The Clipboard
If you don’t wish to save your screenshot to the clipboard, them Mac shall automatically save it to the Desktop. It will automatically save it in the desktop and put a time stamp telling the day and time when it was taken.
If your desktop is running on the latest version of Mac Mojave, then you can directly edit the thumbnail which appears at the bottom of the screen. You just need to click on the images to enable quick editing.
If you are using the older version of Mac, then you can always use the terminal commands to edit the images or use some third-party apps from the App Store.
Apple uses a variety of keyboard shortcuts to make functions easier for its users. There are many screenshot options available to Mac users which make it very easy for them to take screenshots. Did you find this article useful? Please let us know through the comments section below. Do not forget to share this with your friends!