For all those who have started dieting, you must be wondering whether you have to leave all the tasty food behind. But with the healthy Caprese salad recipe I have brought you here, you can enjoy healthy as well as delicious food at the same time. So the next time you want to indulge yourself, you know what to make!
Caprese Salad is an Italian salad which is made up of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, topped with olive oil and salt. You can add your own creativity to this dish by using Italian dressing, pesto or balsamic sauce instead of olive oil. Other than that, rucuola and romaine lettuce might be added to augment the taste of the ingredients.
The best time to make caprese salad is summer time, since you can get the juiciest and ripest tomatoes during this time, which is ideal for making the salad. This recipe can be made using small cherry tomatoes or sun-ripened juicy tomatoes. The best part of this dish is that it can be enjoyed anytime of the day and is generally served as antipasto (starter) and not a controno (side-dish). You can substitute or add the ingredients according to your choice and make it as grilled or skewers or add cucumbers to it.
Here we shall share with you some of the best caprese salad recipes consisting of the traditional recipes and also some twist to your summertime favourite. So you can enjoy these recipes while dieting!
Caprese Salad Calories
The salad recipe is for the health-conscious. So you should have information regarding how much calories you are consuming and how much calories would each ingredient serve. Here is the calorie chart of the
|2.42 OZ||Fresh Mozzarella||167|
|0.303 tbsp||Olive Oil||36|
Classic Caprese Salad Recipe
- 5 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced.
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt (add to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper.
- Arrange tomatoes, whole basil leaves and cheese in an alternate manner on a plate.
- Taking a medium bowl, whisk lemon juice and wine together.
- Then slowly whisk in the olive oil in the mixture.
- Then slowly add salt and pepper to it.
- Drizzle over the cheese and tomatoes.
- Now let the dressing sit for over 10 minutes before serving.
Caprese Salad With Pesto Sauce Recipe
This recipe consists of the traditional Caprese salad consisting of fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese topped with pesto sauce and basil. Let’s have a look at the recipe.
- 2 Tomatoes
- Handful of Basil
- 1 packet Buffalo Mozzarella
For Pesto Sauce
- Handful Basil
- 1 cup Pine Nuts
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
To Make Pesto Sauce
- Carefully mix the pine nuts, basil, extra virgin olive oil and parmesan cheese together so that they form a thick paste.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and add it into the mixture.
- Check the consistency of the paste. If it is too thick, add some more extra virgin olive oil to reach the required consistency.
To Make Salad
- Cut two tomatoes in thick rounds and put it in a mixing bowl. Now add some olive oil, salt and pepper and stir.
- Break the mozzarella cheese into chunks.
- On a serving platter, arrange the cheese and tomatoes alternatively.
- Now garnish it with fresh basil and pesto sauce.
Caprese Salad Skewers Recipe
If you love Caprese salad and would like to have them as a snack or make it for starters for a party, then this recipe would surely be at the top of your list! Make this recipe to enjoy as a snack any time of the day, or serve them to your guests as starters to win instant appreciation. In any case, your recipe will be greatly appreciated and you would love making it!
- 8 OZ. Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
- Handful of Fresh Basil
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Toothpicks for serving
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into two.
- Now cut the mozzarella cheese into small rectangular bits of equal sizes.
- Rinse the basil leaves and dry them. Now cut them into small bite sizes.
- Now take the skewer or toothpick and put the cheese in between the basil leaves ending with tomato slices at both the ends.
- Drizzle the skewers with some balsamic glaze and olive oil. Add some black pepper and salt for dressing.
And there! Your tasty appetizer shall be ready in no time to be enjoyed.
What is The Best Caprese Salad Recipe?
The best Caprese salad recipe is certainly the ones made with heirloom tomatoes. These are fresh and juicy tomatoes which are garden fresh and come in the shades of red, orange and yellow. If you do not find heirloom tomatoes, then ordinary garden tomatoes would also go great with this recipe. The best Caprese salad would require the simplest of ingredients to make, such as juicy tomatoes, mozzarella cheese. olive oil, basil, etc.
Here we shall discuss the best recipe to prepare Caprese salad, i.e, dressed with Balsamic glaze.
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes (about 1-1 1/2 pounds. cut into thick slices.
- 1 pound of fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces.
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves.
- Flaky sea salt.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin oil.
- 2 tbsp. balsamic glaze.
- Take a serving platter and arrange the tomatoes and cheese in an alternating manner.
- Now garnish the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese with basil.
- Season the salad with pepper and flaky pepper.
- Finish off by drizzling olive oil and balsamic glaze over the salad.
We hope you found this delicious yet healthy Italian recipe appetizing and enjoyed eating it with your family and friends! Do share your views on these recipes and any suggestions you might have!