USPS Hold Mail is an important service provided by the USPS. So if you are a USPS customer and are heading out on vacations, then you can use the USPS hold mail service. Through this service, you can request USPS to temporarily hold your USPS packages till the time you return from your vacations. So USPS provides the convenience to its customers of scheduling the hold mail service in advance before heading out of town.
USPS is the sole postal service of USA and is an important branch of the USA government. It offers many services to its customers such as USPS tracking, Informed Delivery, Scheduled Pickup, etc. So today we are going to discuss about an important service of the USPS, i.e., USPS Hold Mail.
So if you are a USPS customer, you must know about USPS hold mail service and how you can apply for it. Here through this article, we will provide you with an all-in-one guide relating to USPS hold mail facility and everything related to it.
How To Put USPS Mail on Hold
USPS provides you with the facility of USPS Hold Mail for which you can register by going to their official site. But before that, you must check if the USPS Hold Mail Facility is available in your locality or not. the Hold Mail service must be scheduled 30 days in advance. And upon your return from the vacations, you can either personally go to the post office to collect your parcel or get it delivered to your address.
There are three ways through which you can apply for the facility of USPS mail, i.e., In Person, Online or By Phone.
- In Person
You can go to the local post office and fill in the form requesting them to hold your mail. You can also ask them to forward your mail to another address.
You can go to the USPS site to fill then form online requesting them to provide you with the hold mail service. This is a quick way as it will help you save your time and money.
- By Phone
You can directly call the Customer Care Executive of the USPS office nearest to you to request them to hold your mail until you return back from your vacations. Make sure to provide the correct contact details and spell your address correctly. You can contact the USPS by dialling 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
Here are the steps which you can follow to initiate a request for USPS Hold Mail online :
- Go to the official website of USPS, and register with them if you still haven’t registered with them. Then go back to the Homepage. Then from the top of the page, click on Track and Manage option.
2. From the drop-down list, select Hold Mail option. It will take you to the page of USPS Hold Mail form. First, you need to check the availability of the service within your zip code.
3. Now fill in your address and contact details.
4. If you are eligible for the Hold Mail services, then you need to provide the details regarding the dates for your request and any specific delivery instructions you would like to provide to USPS.
What Is USPS Hold For Pickup Cost
USPS provides the Package Intercept Facility, through which you can redirect a mail which hasn’t been delivered yet or released for delivery. This facility is available for packages, letters, and flats with tracking or extra service barcode.
You can even go to the nearest post office to request them for the USPS Hold for pickup facility and intercept a mail. You can even get your mail redirected as Priority Mail to your address.
After submitting your request, if your package is eligible for an intercept, you will be provided with an estimates total amount, consisting of Intercept fee plus Priority Mail fee.
If your package is intercepted, you will be charged with an amount of $14.10 with your credit card as Package Intercept fee and any other postage fee if applicable.
How To Request For USPS Hold Mail
Remember : there can be only ONE hold mail service active per address at a time.
There are no charges applicable to apply for a Hold Mail service. You can have only one active hold mail service for an address at a time. So after you are eligible for USPS Hold Mail request, USPS will hold mail for all the individuals at the specified address.
If you have a PO Box, then you can opt out of the hold mail service, since the PO Box will not be allowed to accumulate mail for more than 30 days.
HOW TO SUBMIT A HOLD MAIL REQUEST
There are two methods through which you can submit a hold mail request :
- Visit the Hold Mail Service Page to submit your request online.
- If you have submitted your online request before 2 AM Central Time, your request can start processing on the same day.
- Your application will be processed from Monday to Saturday, with the exception of Postal holidays.
In Person :
- You need to visit your nearest postal office and fill in the request form available there.
- You can also make the request by calling on the number 1-800-ASK-USPS(1-800-275-8777) Remember that your request must be accepted before the closing of your local Post Office location or the call center for the request to be completed by the next delivery schedule.
How To Cancel USPS Hold Mail
If you really can’t leave your mail while on vacation, and need them on an urgent basis, you can use the Premium Forwarding service of the USPS. You just need to provide your temporary address and your mail will be delivered to the address. This will cost you $13.95 per week.
If you have changed the plan of your vacation or don’t want to opt for the Hold Mail service, you can cancel it anytime.
There are again three methods through which you can cancel your Hold Mail Request :
You can call on the number 1-800-ASK-USPS® (1-800-275-8777) and a Customer Care Executive will help you solve your problem and guide you through the steps to cancel your Hold Mail facility.
If you don’t want to call the customer care centre, you can simply go online to their website to change or cancel the request online. Here are the few simple steps which you can follow to cancel or change your Hold Mail request anytime :
- Go to their site https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/ to initiate the request for cancellation or change in your Hold Mail request.
- From the right-hand corner, click on “Edit or cancel an existing Hold Mail request”
- Then you need to enter your confirmation number and the email or phone number which you sent in the request.
- Now you have the option of changing the beginning and the end date. But in case your request process has started you can only change the end date and not the beginning.
- After this, scroll down and click Continue and then YES to verify.
- Now you will be taken to the page where you will be shown the updated information regarding the request made by you.
USPS Hold Mail Service Online
The best method to opt for Hold Mail service is to make it online. It is a fast and hassle-free process and allows you to notify the USPS 30 days in advance before you head out. So here we will tell you how can you make the request for USPS vacation hold in a few simple steps :
- First, you need to check if the USPS vacation hold mail service is available in your zip code.
If you are eligible for Hold Mail service, then you need to choose the dates for your Hold Mail request. You need to fill in a form informing details regarding the duration of your Hold Mail service, mode of receiving mail after the end of the period, and any other additional delivery instructions which you might have for USPS.
Now your mail will be put on Hold Mail status and you can enjoy your vacations without worrying about your mail.
#1 USPS can hold your mail for the duration from 3 days up to 30 days consecutively.
#2 If you want to hold your mail for a period greater than 30 days, you can opt for USPS Forward Mail Service.
We hope you found this guide useful while planning your vacations. If you have any queries for us do let us know by commenting in the box below.